Friday, December 6, 2013

Too Much

This is an excerpt from one of my poetic journals called Spiral Staircase.  Not really a poem, just something I jotted down while I thought I was being artistic.  I now type it out as I've had a shitload to drink and I think I'm on the border of drunk and being sick.

"Alone, standing in the void,"
"The only light shining from high above,"
"He takes his first step."
"The spiral staircase twirls."
"The path is clear and seems unending."
"The step holds firm."
"With a sigh of relief, the next step."
"Voices cry out, his head spins,"
"And again, the step holds."
"With confidence, he strides,"
"Treading the spiral of glass."
CRACK!
"A step fractures, his face clouds."
"Worried, he steps forward."
CRACK!
"With each step, another crack."
CRASH!
"His foot falls through the glass."
Pain surges as the glass tears through his skin."
"Slowly, he pulls his foot out,"
"and carefully steps forward."
CRASH!
"The other foot crashes through the glass."
"He cries out for help"
"as he pulls his wounded foot out."
"Careful to be gentle with each bloody step,"
"he waits to see what the glass will do."
"No sound."
"He continues on, blood trailing on the fractured glass."
"Suddenly, his legs give out and he falls,"
"breaking through the glass."
"His body is sliced and cut."
"One hand, barely, grasps the sharp edges."
"Cutting. tearing, hurting, "
"He wants to scream,"
"he wants to let go, but, "
"he pulls himself up, struggling for the top.
"Battered, broken, bleeding and bruised,"
"the young heart reaches the top of the spiral."
"The light, so warm..."
"He steps forward, into the light, the staircase shatters around him."
"His eyes awaken from the dream.."
"He rolls over to look at her, his light at the top of the stairs..."
It was worth it.


I don't really know where this was going when I wrote it, or why I'm posting it now.  I just know that I'm feeling strange and I needed to do something.

7 comments:

  1. Use to love reading your poetry and am glad that you have chosen to share it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mean to offend, but I don't recognize the name. Where might you have run across my works before?

      Delete
  2. lol I aint offended nor am I surprised that you don't know the name, you were a good looking young man of about 20 yrs old at the tme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that doesn't help an old man remember. 15 years ago? Can ya drop a hint or something?

      Delete
  3. You were trying to get all of your poetry into one notebook without one mistake, refusing to rip out a page if you had messed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember now. We used to go skating together. Gawd. That was forever ago..

      Delete
    2. Memory isn't too bad after all lol, question is now do you remember which skater I was?

      Delete