Friday, July 31, 2009

Another day...

So, yes, another day and another entry. This is one that I was thinking about yesterday but never got around to posting. I figured, since I had time to kill, and the feeling fresh in my mind, I'd go ahead and get this one out there. This post is about 'use and abuse'.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Well, at least since starting my new job. My previous job was one that was privately/locally owned, so there were no corporate rules or any sense of established protocol. With that being the case, there were a lot of things that went on there that weren't really right, but they were allowed to slide because the rules were made up as they went. Because of things like this, I, and others, were asked to do things that wouldn't normally be considered at a corporate place.

Examples:

The manager often had me play taxi for his baby's mother. Sometimes I would pick her up from a doctor's appointment, or take her. Sometimes I would have to run money out to his house for her. Sometimes I would have to take food to her. Nothing that I minded, too much. Of course, there were also little errands that I was asked to run. Post office, bank, local gym for a health shake and things of that nature.

The owner also asked things. Since I was the resident tech-guru at the place (a pizza establishment), I was often called on for tech support. Printers didn't work? Call Matt. Don't know how to wire your entertainment system? Call Matt. PS3 isn't working? Call Matt.

I did these things because I assumed that, in the long run, it would benefit me with some sort of respect at the establisment. I eventually rose to assistant manager, but even then, there was little appreciation for all the extra stuff I did. All the extra hours I worked, the days I stayed late when people called out, the extra cleaning I did, it all amounted to little when all was said and done.

After all of that, I was tossed out without even the consideration to TELL ME that I was fired. I recieved a text message stating that I wasn't needed anymore. Sure, they had mild reason to fire me, but to not even tell me to my face is what burns me.

And this carries over beyond work as well. I've been the type of person to do things for people when they ask, partially because I'm nice and partially because I'm one that believes if you do a favor, you recieve a favor. If I give you a ride somewhere as a favor, then perhaps later I may ask for a favor of.. gas money? Maybe lunch at some fast food place? Something minute. I generally don't ask for outrageous stuff in comparison with what I've given. It's not like I'll withhold my transportation services if you don't buy me a computer. So, I've never really thought of myself as being unfair. Until recently.

No, I don't mean that I acted in a manner that I believed was unfair or out of balance with the 'Equivalent Exchange' philosophy. I just realized that, regardless of what I do, regardless of anything, there are gonna be occasions when no compensation is given, when no gratitude is shown for all the hard work, when no consideration is, or will ever be, shown. So, in realizing this, I had continued to do extra stuff for people, partially expecting something in return and partially realizing that I was a flaming idiot for expecting anything at all.

What this means, in a nutshell, is that I've pretty much decided to NOT do extra stuff for people. No non-paid extra stuff at work, no favors around the house without some sort of compensation, etc...



"So say we all."

No comments:

Post a Comment