Monday, July 27, 2009

Ramblings of a Forlorn Heart

There were so many topics that I had initially intended to be the subject of this post, and when I have time, I'll get around to them. However, today will focus on the subject of something I hate to love and love to hate: Love songs. Not just the typical love songs, but even the off-the-wall songs that attempt to convey love, but fail, at least in my opinion.

Let's start with the song that pretty much inspired this train of thought. "Right Now (Na Na Na)" by Akon. Don't ask why I was listening to it. Let's just get to the point. The song tries to convey that he misses the girl that he used to date and wants to get back together with her. Now, the basics are that the relationship went sour and bad stuff happened, but to sing "I wanna make love right now (na na na).." is a bad way to say that you really miss someone. It seems like you wanna get your rocks off more than anything else.

Which brings me to the second song, "No Surprise" by Daughtry. It's a love song in a very loose sense, because he sings about how the relationship is over and it's 'no surprise' that it happened. However, he sings that the relationship was wonderful while it lasted.

That short paragraph above is basically what made me start to consider the reason I utterly despise love songs. Relationships don't last forever. Sure, you may love someone after the relationship is over, but you will most likely never get back together with that person. Even if the option came up, would you really want to? The relationship ended for a reason, whatever it may have been. There is no guarantee that whatever it was wouldn't happen again.

I point this out for a few reasons. I look at relationships (now) as an 'enjoy it while it lasts' kind of thing. When it's over, it's over. I used to wish for second chances, but I realize that I'm not gonna change, so all the mistakes I made in the past will be made again, so I'd rather not put any girl through that again, let alone the same girl.

While I am often found bitching about not having people to share the things I enjoy or even having someone to share ANYTHING with, most of the time I realize that it's better off this way. Sure, being alone blows, but considering my situation, it's the way it should be. Having to juggle a job and a child leaves little time for anything else except in the wee hours. I wouldn't really have it any other way.

That's a lie.

2 comments: